4.12.2005

my favorite

The Lake Isle of Innisfree

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping
slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket
sings;
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet’s wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s core.

~William Butler Yeats


I never had a teacher who made me memorize a poem full on. And I’ve never had the dedication to do it myself. But, this poem above, I find myself repeating it every now and then. The cadence is soothing and I’m sure there are reasons why this poem pops up in my mind. There is something to the idea of just getting up and going, leaving the world behind to retreat to the lapping lake waters of Innisfree. Escaping, sometimes we all need it and Innisfree sounds good to me.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blingo Self-Portrait Day
  • flickr!
  • ~ © Anna ~ it ain't Shakespeare, but it ain't yours either ~