6.29.2005

Autopilot

We lived on the West Range in the Academic Village of the great TJ. We had our own rooms with a sink and fireplace, but the bathrooms were outside. Yes that's right, outside. It was a regular sight on grounds to see students in bathrobes and towels going to and from showers while passing students on their way to class. I introduced myself to Anna early in the semester. Her room was about 5 doors down from mine. We didn't have any classes together, didn't really see each other during the day, and rarely ate together in the commons, but developed a friendship nonetheless that's lasted over 5 years.

I wouldn’t have thought upon meeting her that’d we’d be anything but friendly towards one another. I can still to this day remember the first time I saw Anna after meeting. It was around 6am and I was walking to my car to head to an internship for the day. She walked out of her room in front of me, locked her door, and started walking in the same direction. I said hello and there was no response. I thought for sure she had to have 1. either seen me or 2. heard me say hello, but I got no response. How RUDE I thought as I followed her to the parking lot where we had parked our cars overnight.

I shrugged it off, as maybe my first impression of her was WAY off. I started thinking that perhaps she was that stereotypical sorority girl. It wasn't until later that I discovered the reason for this brush off. Some people can get to where they need to be and get there on time, but it’s their bodies functioning on autopilot that gets them there. Their minds are still cloudy with sleep. Anna definitely runs on autopilot after sleep.

guest posted by JL

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blingo Self-Portrait Day
  • flickr!
  • ~ © Anna ~ it ain't Shakespeare, but it ain't yours either ~