1.28.2006

a little white or none at all

I'm having a bit of trouble with my fiction writing class. The trouble I'm having is with the fiction part of it. I didn't realize until I tried that fiction writing feels so false to me, so much like a lie. And I never lie, never. Seriously. I barely even embelish. I add my own thoughts to things, but those are still truths, my truths.

And so the lying aspect of it all is leaving a bad taste in my mouth and false words on the page. It just doesn't feel authentic, don't seem real. Our teacher tells us to add details. Details make us believe. That's all good and true, but if I can't really SEE it then I can't find those details and it all seems such an imposter of real life.

The thing is is that I love reading fiction and I'm fascinated at how authors just make stuff up. It may come down to the fact that I just can't lie on the page. I can't James Frey my way out of it.

And that's really all I have to say about that.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blingo Self-Portrait Day
  • flickr!
  • ~ © Anna ~ it ain't Shakespeare, but it ain't yours either ~