9.06.2006

i went out walking after midnight, out in the moonlight just like we used to do

It’s quite interesting the things you can learn about people just by walking past their house. Today I spied two toothbrushes in a cup on the windowsill above a kitchen sink. That’s an indication of a house I’d rather not have a meal in. Who brushes their teeth in the kitchen sink? And who wants to see that right before they bite into some homemade lasagna?

And then there are the people who are building additions onto already enormous houses. What? Did you plan on hosting a refugee family from the Sudan? Why exactly do you need 25 rooms on a street with 4 bedroom houses?

Sometimes I don’t understand our American need for space, our need to own and dominate and lay down our authority in a physical manner. Is it something we breed or is in inherent in the human spirit? I think it’s an American thing, a greedy, capitalist thing. And don’t worry, I buy into it. I have a spare room and a sunroom. Please, I should be housing a refugee family. I realize it and yet I don’t understand my desire to spread out, to be able to roam and dance through rooms. Why do I feel I need to do this?

This all came about on a walk. Amazing how the mind can wander. And I’ve decided that it wouldn’t be a bad idea if the whole world were on a soundtrack so that if you started singing in the middle of the street, it wouldn’t look so strange.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blingo Self-Portrait Day
  • flickr!
  • ~ © Anna ~ it ain't Shakespeare, but it ain't yours either ~