11.30.2004

quote book

I was in a writing class once where this uppidity-too-good-for-the-company-he-keeps-self-described-writer/ not really said that writing to some people is what they do in their flower printed journals. There was a slight gasp in the women in the room when he said this out-loud in our 6 person-writing group. I dismissed everything he said shortly after he described his audience as “not yet born.” I think the meaning of being ahead of your time is that you don’t actually know it and you just do what you do because you have to not because you are banking on the future to “get it.”

I was actually upset about that one man’s statements that day and never went back to that writing group. This was before blogging, before I found the appropriate medium to try out my ranting. But, from time to time I think about flower printed journals. Over the years mine have changed from flowers to leather. The pages are of thicker paper and hold up to the ballpoint pens I use. The funny thing is is that I don’t write in those journals, never really have. I think, in my lifetime, I have ever completely filled up one journal. I’ve started several, but they are mostly blank.

I have a flower printed journal still in use. It is for my favorite or eye-catching quotes. There are words of wisdom from Eleanor Roosevelt and inspiration from Helen Keller and funny quotes from Winnie the Pooh. Like all my journals, it’s not filled up and there are many quotes on my computer waiting to be handwritten between the clothed flowers.

Today two quotes hit me, needed to be written down. The first is from Jerry Seinfeld on Oprah in which he talks about going from a single man to married man. He says, “I didn’t want to be married, but I was sick of being single and I thought; what do you do about that?” Yep, that’s about where I’m at. Thanks Jerry.

Then, in my new musical obsession, the soundtrack to Wicked, I find songs the sing my life to. The Wicked Witch of the West sings in her unrequited love song, “he could be that boy, but I’m not that girl… don’t wish, don’t start, wishing only wounds the heart.” I’m totally with her when she decides to become Wicked and sings, “If I’m flying solo at least I’m flying free.” I’m not sure what it means that I align myself with the Wicked Witch. Well, I know what it means, but does being OK, nay wanting, to be single mean you’re wicked? If this be the case then screw the flower printed journals and give me my broom damn it!

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blingo Self-Portrait Day
  • flickr!
  • ~ © Anna ~ it ain't Shakespeare, but it ain't yours either ~